Cute Background

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First Week Books

Yes it's SUMMER and Yes I'm already thinking about school!  
The beginning of the school year is a great time for some fun books!  Here are some of my favorite stories to read to brand new first graders!  
The night before first grade is about a girl named Penny who is going into first grade.  Here is a page I found for students to make connections.  I found an awesome reader's theatre script to use for this book!  


Everyone has first day jitters, even me!  
After we read the story we talk about our first day jitters, 
then we write about them using the page below!     
Also check out this activity guide all about 
First Grade Jitters, that I found online!  


    
This is an activity I do close to the end of the first day or during the second day.  Before reading, I draw a huge hand with a heart inside.  Then I introduce the vocabulary words for the Kissing Hand.  Click here to download the vocabulary words.  After reading the story, we fill out the hand with all the different emotions and feelings students have felt during the day.  


Wallace Bleff gives an imaginative report about how he spent his summer vacation.  After discussing what could have really happened on his vacation, I ask my students to write about and illustrate their favorite memory from summer vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment