Cute Background

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Going Green

     Green for George Mason University.  Our campus is participating in No Excuses University this year and we were each asked to pick a University.  Well, I picked GMU, where I did my undergraduate studies.
    The first thing I did was make a small website, to share a few things about the university.  I hope to do that for each of our first grade teachers too.   Click here, to see the website.
    Two weeks ago I started looking for things to decorate my room GMU style!  I painted two very small storage things for my classroom.  I went shopping online and found a GMU flag, floor mat, pennant, blanket and banner.  I also bought two yards each of green fleece and yellow fleece from Hobby Lobby, I figured I could get create one of those no-sew blankets to cover the five dollar couch I found at a garage sale, awesome find!  
I made this!
This flag is covering the window on
the right side of the classroom
The chair and couch with
the blanket
This week, my fabulous nieces were here, and they made that no-sew, fleece blanket for me in under a half an hour!  WOW!!  Those girls rock!  Next, I dyed a white chair, green.  I found this chair on a sell, swap site I am a member of.  It took me a week to get brave enough to dye it green in the washer.  Everything turned out alright and the chair looks great.  I put the GMU blanket I bought over this chair.  The chair and the couch are both in the reading corner of my classroom.

Then it was time to work in my room a little bit.  I used green felt and yellow border to cover the two bulletin boards I have in my classroom.  I also painted one more, longer, wooden storage shelving unit, green to match.

Then, after 14 years, I finally got my diploma framed!  I am so excited to have this in my classroom!  I can't wait to share the meaning behind it with my first graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment